You are here
CEO Susan Danger talks global trade in London
On Thursday, 1 November Susan Danger, CEO, AmCham EU spoke at a Chatham House event in London. With more than 120 participants, including policy-makers and representatives from civil society, academia and business, the discussion focused on Global Trade in 2018.
Susan spoke during the second session on ‘The State of Global Trade – Bright Spots and Structural Risks’. The session addressed the current state of global trade, examining the macroeconomic picture, who the systemic players are and the potential for new trade agreements to alter the current landscape. The dynamic panel provided perspectives from the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Japan on current global trade challenges such as a possible UK-US trade agreement, Brexit, the position of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and the recent EU-Japan trade agreement.
Susan brought the EU and US perspectives to the discussion, offering an AmCham EU outlook on the state of trade in the EU and in the US. In particular, she discussed the current trend towards protectionist measures and their implications across the EU, US and globally. She presented a view into the EU’s trade liberalisation approach, and the difference this poses from the US and their interest in bilateral versus multilateral agreements. Finally, she touched upon current trade tensions between the EU and the US, and ways to move forward with a more positive agenda.
- Kalina Manova, Associate Professor of International Economics, University College London
- Crawford Falconer, Chief Trade Negotiation Adviser and Second Permanent Secretary, Department for International Trade, United Kingdom
- Marie-Gabrielle Ineichen-Fleisch, State Secretary, State Secretariat for Economic Affairs, Switzerland
- Koji Tsuruoka, Ambassador of Japan to the United Kingdom
- Susan Danger, CEO, American Chamber of Commerce to the EU
- Suella Braverman MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Department for Exiting the European Union, United Kingdom
- Thomas Raines, Head, Europe Programme, Chatham House