You are here
Competition Policy Conference
Thursday, 22 November 2018 (9.00-14.00)
Competition, digitisation and fairness
Competition gives consumers the power to demand a fair deal. But this concept of ‘fairness’ is increasingly debated in today’s world, where markets are driven and shaped by digital technology. From artificial intelligence and Big Data to the role of national competition authorities in digital markets, the 35th edition of AmCham EU’s annual Competition Policy Conference will explore the evolving relationship between competition, digitisation and fairness.
The Annual Competition Policy Conference brings together EU and US representatives to exchange views on the development of efficient competition policies reflecting the needs and interests of both business and consumers.
Welcome and opening address
08.30 – 09.00 Registration and welcome coffee
09.00 - 09.15 Opening remarks
Dr Bertold Bär-Bouyssière, Co-Chair of AmCham EU Competition Policy Committee and Partner, DLA Piper
09.15 – 10.15 Panel 1: Data and market power: How best to protect consumers?
- David Cardwell, Counsel, Baker Botts LLP
- Cyril Ritter, Antitrust case support and policy, DG Competition, European Commission
- Carel Maske, Senior Attorney, Microsoft
Moderated by Jay Modrall, Co-Chair of AmCham EU Competition Policy Committee and Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
10.15– 11.15 Panel 2: Theories of harm: what evidence is required?
Conor Opdebeeck-Wilson, Associate, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LL
Anneleen Straetemans, Global Legal Director Competition, AB InBev
- Marco Ramondino, Case Handler Unit E.4 (Mergers), DG Competition, European Commission
- Angélique de Brousse, Counsel, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Moderated by Tomas Nilsson, Associate, Latham & Watkins LLP
11.15 – 11.30 Coffee break
11.30-12.30 Panel 3: Competition enforcement in digital markets: challenges and trends for National Competition Authorities
- Susanne Zuelke, Partner, Wilkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Sandro Gleave, Bundeskartellamt (German Federal Cartel Office)
- Karen Jelgerhuis Swildens, Legal and Competition Counsel, Booking.com
- Olaf Christiansen, Senior Vice President, Bertelsmann
Moderated by Salomé Cisnal de Ugarte, Vice-Chair of AmCham EU Competition Policy Committee and Managing Partner, Hogan Lovells
12.45-13.30 Closing keynote address
Margrethe Vestager, European Commissioner for Competition
Introduction and discussion moderated by Maxime Bureau, Chairman, AmCham EU and Director for Government and Public Affairs at 3M for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
13.30-14.00 Walking lunch – end of conference
See a snapshot of previous conferences